Monday, September 15, 2008

Introductions

Good morning, or afternoon, or evening…I’m not sure what time you're reading this, but whatever the time, it is very nice to meet you.
I’d like to tell you a little about myself, though I hope you will come to know me better over the months to come through this little article I type on my laptop while sitting at the kitchen table in our home in Richmond, Virginia. It has been my dream for many, many years to write a column much like that of Erma Bombeck’s “At Wit’s End” taking everyday events and finding the humor in them. But I would like to go one step further and shed a bit of “scriptural light” on them as well. I love reading simple things and finding enlightenment in them, but being spiritually enlightened feeds the soul.
I’m originally from Paducah, Kentucky and still refer to it as home. I attended Harding University and met my husband John there, graduated in 1984 and married the next year. We have been married 23 years now, have four children, and have lived in four states. Three years ago, we felt the Lord had provided us with the opportunity to move back near family and familiar surroundings and so we are (hopefully) settled in Chester. Our children spread eight years in range, with the first three being sons and the last a daughter.
Other than what I’ve mentioned so far, I’m exactly like you. And where you may find me not to be like you, I’m probably worse. I hope that as you read my typed thoughts to come, you will find situations and events that are either already familiar to you and make you smile, or spring to your mind in an ah-ha moment one day soon.
I am pre-disposed to be happy. I truly despise being ill-at-ease. I am not good at new challenges or change. When these things inevitably come, I focus on the parts that make me happy until the new stuff becomes familiar and then I can find happiness in those too. I’m one of those people who wade into the water, I would never dive.
I have a terrible memory. I could have shared so many more interesting thoughts and funny stories with you from when my children were younger, if only I had written them down somewhere. We’ll just have to work with what I’ve got now.
Traveling gives me anxiety attacks. You can take me anywhere you want during the day, but I need to be home by 10:00 or I begin to feel physically ill. By now you must be thinking, “this lady is gonna be a real piece of work and she is clearly nothing like me.” Well, I may not be like you in the specifics, but we each have quirky traits that make us uniquely individual. I’m hoping some of mine will remind you of some of yours and again, make you smile.
One thing that I am certain we have in common, is an ever-growing love for our Heavenly Father and the desire to one day have neighboring mansions in His kingdom. That will be a “change” that brings great happiness, true knowledge (which is better than memory), and no more travel. Woohoo! But, while we are still here on earth, I hope that we can encourage one another, share experiences of life both happy and heart-breaking, and strengthen the bond we have with one another through our Savior, Jesus Christ.
Thank you for letting me be a part of your life. “But if we walk in the light, as he is in the light, we have fellowship with one another, and the blood of Jesus, his Son, purifies us from all sin.” 1 John 1:7

4 comments:

The Blessed One said...

I am definitely adding you to my blog list. I can't wait to see what you have in store. I love the scriptures. I already feel like I can sit on my corner of the couch with my coffee and soak this u!! *Right after I put hubby and monster to bed* I can't quite figure out how to read/study/concentrate/focus (you get my drift) with monster using me as his personal jungle gym!! I love you and am so excited you started this. God is so good and how cool that we can bask in His greatness together!! I'm going to let mom know about this too.

Robin said...

This is so awesome Suzanne!! I am so happy you have made this happen for you and for all of us readers........the inpiration is overflowing :) I love everything about your blog and know it will only get better :)

xoxo
Robin

Anonymous said...

I can't resist. . .

You know you used Bloomingburg green for your background!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad to reconnect with you and your thought process! This column is going to inspire me in more ways than one. Thanks for the jump-start!